Thursday, June 25, 2009

prayer to small inspirations, preferably in a pop-punk format.

when it rains, it pours. maybe ill post every day in june. im just that surprising.

so this morning i went on a run. during this time i tried to think about everything except for "when is this going to be over?" so naturally i spent the duration thinking "when is this going to be over?" i used to be able to run 15 miles no sweat (well, a lot of sweat actually, but you know what i mean), but i spent the winter teaching school and eating little ceasars pizza with my husband, which is really unfortunate now that i have gallons of free time in which i prefer to be hiking, swimming, running, endangering my life in exhilarating ways, and doing anything in the beauty that is utah in the summer. so i was going to run 3 miles, the first 1.2 miles of which i blamed my discomfort and shrinking will to go on on my ipod music (too slow, too boring, not getting me pumped enough), and then on my outfit choice (these shorts give me wedgies, my winterwhite midriff is being exposed every time i take a step), until realizing that the real issue was my entirely out of shape body. which made me laugh, because isnt that just like life? when you are unhappy with yourself, you tend to blame it on others, or if you are as entirely human and flawed as i am, you tend to see what you hate about yourself in others. when i had that realization, that it was not that beyonces your loves got me looking so crazy right now or ace of bases i saw the sun that had lost their energy, but me, i felt slightly ashamed that i had been so hard on these poor inatimate objects. and then i felt bad for all of the times i have taken out my frustration or anger or sadness on someone else. because, ive said it before, but ill say it again, i really believe that the only thing you can control in life is yourself, and the sooner you figure that out and stop trying to help perfect and change and criticize those around you, the happier life becomes. which means, it is not ace of bases fault i am a slow and sucky runner, or even little ceasars pizza. it is my own.

anyway, when i am running is usually when i have my greatest breakthrough moments or thoughts or ideas or whatever. that is usually when i am in shape though and not counting second by second until my run will end. so i reached mile 1.2, and decided i would turn around. i cant do this anymore, my legs are burning, my lungs are collapsing, i have become those people we used to see at mcdonalds that would order 2 large fries and my dad would shake his head in disgust and say "this is what has become of america." and then, a miraculous thing happened. the last thing i would expect to help me forge ahead came along and got my legs pumping: "mr brightside," by the killers came on my ipod shuffler, and all of a sudden i was hauling. the killers helped me keep going. the killers.

the killers is a band that stars on nick and is regular sarcastic banter, as in, we dont listen to them and often make fun of them in mean spirited ways. but there was mr brightside, and all of a sudden i was running, arms flailing, singing at the top of my lungs inappropriate lyrics that i will not post on this blog, wind in my hair, and i believed in myself again. it would take work, dedication, and admitting that i was out of shape, but i could do it! i could be the physically fit person i once was! and mr brightside is what made me believe.

i think there are a couple of lessons to be learned from this: a.) you never know who might come along and help you along when you really need some help b.) dont judge, because those things you judged may end up being your inspiration, c.) you can do it, and maybe listening to the killers mr brightside will motivate you, as it did me.

maybe you dont want to be able to run 15 miles. maybe you want to be able to sew a dress or sing like mariah carey or make really really good omelets. maybe you want to star in a movie. i dont know what it is, but give it your best shot. the killers believe in you, and so do i.

p.s. the best part of my run was when i passed by a middle aged group of jolly, pot-bellied men fitness walking together, weights in hand, discussing their favorite types of sees candies. life is good, people, its very good.

7 comments:

Shannon Johnson said...

Teaching can get anyone out of shape quick! I didn't realize you were still in Utah. We should totally go on a hike or bike ride or something together. :)

Amy said...

just the fact that you could once run 15 miles at a time is amazing!!! You will get there again. I had to laugh at the Little Caesar's thing because Scott and I used to get those all the time when we were first married, good times.

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

Say what you will about The Killers, but second my dear. For me it's hauling ass down University to Read my Mind. *So* good to run to.

PS I keep meaning to comment on your last(ish) post. Much to say.

lindsay lark said...

I should be embarrassed to admit this, but Mr. Brightside is one of my workout faves.

P.S. How do you think I can get in on that men's walking group? Sounds like just the convo I could fit in with- plus while guys my own age don't like me, men 55+ love me. I'll take it where I can get it.

Marissa Hicken said...

i had a similar experience with the killers. except for i was trying not to be a beached whale and try to run 5 miles on a beach in hawaii. remind me to tell you that story one evening. perhaps over some lemonade and a hot n ready. i hope to see you soon lamp. right now i am in santa barbara, waiting to be an efy counselor starting tomorrow. waiting to try and tell thirteen year olds how to be an example of Christ. also lets do a reunion pocohantas run in august. break out the trouble shorts.

hudd and anna said...

I'm commenting here cause it's most recent, but this pertains to your post about making life decisions...forgive me, i'm on the wrong time schedule. anyways, we have a lot to talk about missy, and i mean A LOT. especially about making life decisions. we may be visiting utah in august let's drink copious amounts of free refills...because america offers it. then...let's discuss.

hudd and anna said...

also refers to last post. Funny, I just call him e. Anyways... i turned down a crazy Shanghai Businessman job and we're in a recession and your blog keeps me living life.
-Hudd