Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sharing is Caring. Pop Rocks can Save us.

This is my friend Yolanda from when I lived in Mexico. Her dad is a migrant worker that illegally crosses the border to work so he can have money to buy her food.

This:
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/07/14/immigration_rally_planned_in_iowa_meatpacking_town/
is making me super happy today. It won't let me link to it, I don't know why, but you should copy/paste it into your browser and read it, because maybe it will bring you a bit of happiness too. and i, for one, am all about bringing happiness into the world after i find out things like ladies being chained by their heads to men for two straight years are happening on this planet (if you don't know what im talking about, you should pick up a newspaper maybe. or if you don't want to know, which is understandable, avoid all news stands and don't journey to colombia anytime soon).

when people Care (yes with a capital C, because it deserves it) it makes my heart happy. im interning right now for an immigration/refugee assistance/policy lobbying organization in dc, so you will probably be hearing a lot about it from me. by hearing i mean seeing. and by seeing i mean you will be seeing me passionately tirading, or whatever it is that i do about sadness and suffering and children not having candy and toys. it all began with my save the donkeys in tijuana campaign at the age of 11. ill probably post more about my crusade to save the spray painted donkeys in the future. it culminates in me insisting my entire class bring in all of their spare change and begging my mom to drive me back to mexico so i could buy the donkeys. i was a ridiculous and stubborn child. also a chubby one. right now it will suffice to quote my love dr. seuss: "if someone like you doesn't care a whole lot, nothings going to get better, its not."

anyway, of course i couldnt just post the link because i am the most long-winded person on planet earth. if you made it this far, i salute you. i wish you peace and giggles all day long. i challenge you to spend an extra 15 minutes asking someone questions about their life today and for real listening, not just fake listening and thinking about what you have to do, or anonymously do an act of service, like buying your co-worker pop rocks. im pretty sure we severely underestimate the power of pop rocks to help combat the world's problems.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

The URL doesn't work when I cut and paste it in.

Shannon Elizabeth said...

i just copy pasted it into mine and it worked. hmmm. did you get the / at the end?

Anonymous said...

pop rocks are great. that girl is beautiful. when did you live in mexico?

D said...

Its hard to care about anything when my coed softball team isn't any good and there is nobody in provo to make late night soda runs with. I'll do my best, though.