Sunday, July 13, 2008

i found my heart in gettysburg.

i went to gettysburg. i bought a ring. it looks like this. $1.75 of endless joy.

i promised myself i had to cut down on accumulating junk in mass quantities, so i withheld even though i really wanted the $4.75 bullet necklace. the confederate flag heart ring was enough for me. the abraham lincoln bobble head will have to wait for another time.

gettysburg was bomb. i dont feel like describing it except for to tell you that it was bike week in gettysburg, meaning there were millions of leather clad men on harley davidsons. my other favorite thing was going to general picketts all you can eat buffet. a chuckarama with a civil war theme and murals of the confederate troops on the wall? im in love. its fatal flaw was lack of a frozen yogurt machine. the battlefield at gettysburg made me appreciate those that have come before and paved the way. freedom is incredible. we dont appreciate it as much as we should. it is a beautiful and precious gift, one that we should use wisely. i cant imagine what it would be like to be at war in those days, looking into the faces of men you will soon kill or that will kill you. it was so much more personal in those days. now we can just press a button and blow people up. that is probably more scary than anything. look into people's eyes once a while. i think its good for the soul.

it was a good trip. maybe ill post pictures. most likely not. the weekend was weird for other reasons. reasons that made me appreciate my friends and family, and realize that no matter how far you travel, there is no place like home. which is funny, because i wasnt even home. but its good to know that in this great big world, you will always be connected to the people that love you, and that in your darkest of moments they are only one phone call or gchat away. and that my friends, is better than the banana cake at general picketts. maybe as good as a bullet necklace.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I hope you guys went on the ghost tour--that was one of my favorite parts. Also, did you learn about what it means when the horses in each equestrian statue have one, two, or three hooves raised? I can't remember and it's driving me nuts.

And apparently I've already gotten used to you being out here with me, because that second bedroom is just plain lonely when you aren't staying with me on the weekends.

Wanna go to the National Spy Museum with me sometime this week?

Ben said...

Not only one gchat away, but one blog link away! Well done. I'd love to see Gettysburg. Friends and family are paramount to everything else, I'd agree.

Shannon Elizabeth said...

yes, it means that they either were wounded, not wounded, killed, or something else. dont ask me to say which was which. yes i want to go to the national spy museum. i have a lot of museums to hit up before i head back to the motherland.