Monday, August 10, 2009

because sometimes the universe is just right, and it is your moment in the sun.

so last week my intramural softball team won the championships and i acquired the illustrious byu intramural champion shirt one year after graduating and life was good.

and then this weekend nick and i drove to cedar city and went to the shakespearean festival and then to zion and hiked the narrows and camped on rock hard ground and had each other and red rock and high mountains and no one else and life was good.

and then today i started my 7th grade teaching position for next year and opened boxes of brand new novels like the count of monte cristo, macbeth, farenheit 451, anthem, and tom sawyer and i loved my life as i inhaled my most favorite scent in the world and thought in my head "i get paid to read these, and try to make other people love them like i do. paid a lot of money," and life was good.

and then i drove home so happy after opening all my books and smelling all of their pages, and came home to nick passed out on the couch in basketball shorts and tube socks with a book lying on his chest, and life was good.

and then i opened my email not expecting anything of significance and there was an acceptance letter from northwestern, waiting for me patiently to open it, and i did, and i think my heart exploded, and life was good.

and then nick threw me up in the air and told me he was so proud and we felt good, like we were supposed to move to chicago, like maybe there is big things for us to do there or maybe the universe is pushing us in that direction, and we rushed to the store to get tons of jelly bellys to slink into the movie theatre and went to see 500 days of summer for the second time to celebrate, and life was good.

and now nick is in the shower while i type this, while i sit here smiling, and life is so good. not because of all of those things, not really at all, but because sometimes you feel like you are in a good place and your heart and soul and mind and the universe are all aligned and it feels just right, like the universe was painting an enormous picture and it just got to you and put you in in the exact right spot, just when you thought it maybe wasn't going to put you in the painting at all. and this is not a post like my life is so perfect or great or only awesome things happen to me, because very not awesome things happen to me too. and i hope this blog isnt one of those kinds of blogs, because i dont think it is and i dont those kinds of blogs do anything good for the world. my husband is very not perfect, and i am even more very not perfect, and a lot of times i dont get what i want and i cry and i feel sadness and the bad things. but sometimes, after a lot of the big storms and waiting and unsurety and losing of faith and gaining of faith and jolts of reality in which you remember that details arent important and life is pretty much all details except for the big stuff like love and service and sharing your poprocks, sometimes after all of that crazy weather when you get a little shook up, the sun shines. and it feels even warmer, this moment, because it was so cold before. and you know it may get cold again, it WILL get cold again, but for now that is okay. because life is good, and because sometimes the universe is just right, and it is your moment in the sun.

6 comments:

Katherine said...

Amen, amen, amen. I'm so happy the sun is shining for you right now.

Can I call you sometime soon?

Amy said...

that is AWESOME! I was thinking of you just like 2 minutes ago, "I wonder if Shannon heard from North Western yet?" and then I read your blog! That is so exciting. Now you will be only 5 hours away from us, or 314.5 miles to be exact (I just googled mapped it:) I am so excited for you guys, life is good

Amanda said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Oh my gosh, Northwestern doesn't even KNOW what a great idea accepting you is. You're gonna blow 'em away. I'm trying to go as long as I can without a car, but knowing that about a dozen of my most favorite people in the world will be living within driving distance of me is making me seriously reconsider. There's like this gravitational pull of greatness to the great American midwest.

I am so excited for you and Nick!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Brooke said...

yay for you!

D said...

Congrats! On the title, I mean. Northwestern accepts anyone, but intramural t-shirts are rare. Cherish it. And movie night needs to happen soon. Thats all.