Wednesday, August 13, 2008

prayer to lovely people with beating hearts.

so i left dc and my wallet got stolen in the airport and i had 2 layovers until i got back to good ol salt lake city to see the boy i kind of like. i was in such a bootleg mood because who steals someones wallet and i had gotten 2 hours of sleep and i was reading breaking dawn, the latest in the twilight series, and it was giving me a headache. addicted to the pain. anyway, so im sitting in my middle seat on the airplane lamenting my awful station in life and complaining in my head when our plane lands. i look a mess. bags under my eyes. frazzled hair. awkward fitting jeans. airplane sick stomach. complaining heart. then a very large, greyhaired man in front of me turns around. kind eyes. i love kind eyes.

"maam?" he asks me. "are you the one that lost your wallet?" im still annoyed at this point and don't reply in the most chipper of tones. "yes," i reply. he proceeds to tell me about when his wallet got stolen at the gym and how annoying it was, and im still tuning him out because complaining in my head feels like a much more important activity. then he asks me if need money. "no sir, thank you, i'll be ok." im still in a bootleg mood. to which he replies, "no, youre going to need something to eat." and pulls out a 20 and slips it to me. the best part is what he says: "to remind you there are still more good people in the world than bad." then walks away, like a money distributing airplane frequenting santa clause.

thank you large greyhaired man with kind eyes, for reminding me how beautiful the world is, and how much one small act of service can mean. thank you large greyhaired man wtih kind eyes, for reminding me that life is not about what you get, or what happens to you, or how hard your life is, but about how much you give. thank you large greyhaired man with kind eyes, for not thinking twice about giving me 20 dollars, for realizing that the hope you gave me in humanity that day far outweighed whatever he could buy with that 20 dollars. thank you large greyhaired man with kind eyes, for teaching me that service is every day, every hour, and that there are bad people in the world, but there will always be more good than bad. thank you large grey haired man with kind eyes, im working on becoming like you.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

You made it! I haven't heard anything since Friday but I'm glad you made it! Oh, do I have stories for you. And I want to hear your stories. A whole weekend of no contact has made D.C. a very cold and lonely place.

D said...

My wallet was stolen this weekend as well. I met no kind, grey haired men. I'm just poor. But your story was great:)

Whitney Jay said...

It was stolen and not stuck in between your rearview mirror and car door?

Anonymous said...

from the sounds of your other writings it sounds like you are on the write track if not at the same level as the gray-haired man.